mountain bike musings

Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Perspective from Phil

Kelly and have just finished competing in the BC bike race, a seven day mt bike stage race. Kelly decided, a year ago, that this would be a good way to celebrate our 10 year anniversary and the milestone of turning 40. She talked me into this adventure and I am, once again, reminded of how lucky I am to have a partner that is willing to jump into such an epic race. She does know how to pick em, right!

It has been a transformative experience. Meeting bikers from 22 countries and digging deep throughout the week with 450+ other competitors. I have raced along side [for some reason I could never really stay too close :)] Brian Lopes, Jason Moeschler & Mark Weir - gravity legends and magicians on their bikes and very capable endurance riders. I have only crossed the line once ahead of them (stage 4), but I will take it! Had I known they were behind me I may have waited and at the top of a downhill and tried to see how long I could hold on. I think I would give it about 15 seconds, until I hit a tree! And, I have also seen a former world cup marathon champion from France, Thomas Dietsch, (only because he flatted and got off course did I see him blow by me while chasing the back the leaders). He is using this as a tune up for another epic stage race next week in Europe - crazy!

There are many other pros (the BC bike race was much like a rock concert for me, where I had a back stage pass). The other notable, is Jason Sager, who finished second overall and won two stages. He shattered the course record last year at our endurance epic, the Vermont 50! I have been able to chat with most of these guys - very inspirational! If you want more about some of the riders in the race go to cycling news.

This past week has been both the hardest and most satisfying week of racing I have ever done. Stage 6 was in Squamish (Thanks to Chessy and Spencer for being amazing in hosting us in their home!). Squamish has the most mind blowing trails I have ever been on. I would get to the bottom of the trail and look over at my nearest competitor and would have to wipe the perma-grin from my face. I found myself laughing and crying uncontrollably ( I know I have officially lost it - check me into the nearest hospital!) as I descend stretches of 30 minute roller coasterish single track. I knew the trails were nice, but this was ridiculous! I actually kind of stopped racing and instead took some time to really soak in the forest.

Awaiting our final stage, I was ready to let it all hang out. My body was close to to its limits and certainly ready for a break, but my mind was craving more and more of this magic that is BC mt biking. At this point in the race, I was sitting 7th in the masters (I came here hoping for a secret top 10, actually I would have liked to win it, but apparently, this year is faster, as the guy ahead of me is the winner from last year in the masters and he said that he is in better shape, but also recognized that he is a year older!) I knew at this point that I was not going to make any ground on my nearest competitor and the guy behind me was about 15 minutes back. So, I just kept an eye on him and tried to ride without burying myself into the ground.

Actually, Kelly and I have come to know the guy sitting behind me in the standings. His name is Mike Wilson, and because he is a local, I found it extremely useful to follow his lines, since this is his backyard. He wanted my spot bad, but it is good ole' healthy competition! I don't plan on giving it over without a fight! At the end of the week, we'll exchange contact info and hopefully they will make it back to VT or we will have a place to visit in BC. It is funny how life works. We met Mike at the first dinner and remained friends thereafter only to find out that we were racing within minutes of each other! He has two boys and wonderful wife, went to Stratton Mt School in VT, loves to race...

This is truly a one of a kind race with one of a kind trails. After I completed the race in Squamish I was convinced that heaven is truly a place on this earth. It just cannot get any better! I have felt this way before in my life...when Austin and Carson were born, when I meet Kelly, family vacations, graduations, epic rides with friends....personally I cannot ask for more...

Finding ways to keep focused during the race is a challenge. So, every day I dedicated the last 10k to somebody in my life. It has been a great way to get through the hard last few kilometers. For example, on the longest, hottest stage, I spent the final kilometers thinking about a friend, Dave Blumenthal, an adventurer who died last year in the Tour de Divide. He was a true adventurer and his memory reminds me why we do these crazy things in the first place. He carried me through the last miles and helped me have one of the best rides of my life. I only knew him for a short time, but he left a lasting impression on me, and will continue to influence my future choices to pursue adventure.

One day I thought about Austin and Carson and imagined how they would "play on the trails" as they finished a race. On this particular day, we had a epic 30 minute downhill into a ferry terminal. If you have ever seen mt biking movies, this trail was on the Sunshine Coast! Very exciting! It allowed me to let go of racing and instead focus on playing. This should be fun too, right! Well, it was!

On another day I let my family carry me through. All my family - Mom, Dad, Sis, Patty, Brian, brother and sister in laws, nephews, nieces, cousins.....It reminded me that without these relationships my life would be very empty. It is my family that has always been there when I have needed help and gave me great inspiration to know that they are in my corner! Much love to you all.

Some days, I just let the person or people come into my consciousness depending on what I need. Like my riding buddies...Jared, Grant, Nick, Pavel, Andrew, ORR team, other biking friends...wishing they could be here too! Thinking about how they would be smiling just like me as they made their way through this beautiful landscape.

Surprisingly, on stage six in Squamish, I found myself thinking about my uncle Bob (my Dad's brother). I was pushing hard in the last 10k and knew that I had much more left in the tank. Part of me was fighting going into the "pain cave" - many of you know that place! It takes concentration and focus, and sometimes it hurts! At that moment I was reminded of my Uncle Bob, who, because had MS, lost the opportunity to experience what it feels like to compete physically. Due to this, I took some time to truly embrace and enjoy the discomfort of digging deep...and that was for Bob and everyone else who has lost the opportunity to move. And let me tell you, riding hard never felt so good! We, who are able to participate in life's adventures are extremely lucky! Our bodies are designed for moving, so get out there!

Day seven- Whistler- this dedication was for ME! I let it hang out and had the best finish of my week! During this ride I thought about how many times through life, I have been my worst critic, and worst enemy. I don't know if it is human nature, but I find it hard to keep thoughts truly positive. On the bike and in the race I often found my mind wondering to places like...."you should be smoother", "I am not going to make that bridge", "your technical skills are sub-par," "the guy behind me is getting impatient". As we all know, when our thoughts are negative, it will certainly effect our behavior. And, in mt biking the result might be a bobble, running off trail, loosing traction or hitting a tree (I have several bark samples embedded in my handlebars for anyone interested!) In contrast, when our thoughts are positive we get out of our own way and the bike will follow. In the final decent, I found myself chanting (in my head), "playful, smooth, confident"..."playful, smooth, confident"....Soon after I was chasing down riders in front of me and hovering over the rocky single track like I had not done all week. Make no mistake, I was surrounded by people with some of the best bike handling skills I have ever witnessed (Yes I did get to see Weir & Moeschler rampage down some technical single track with smoothness that did not seem humanly possible. I heard them coming from a long way out. They wear black WTB Cannandale jerseys and it is like seeing a freight train in your periphery. I could see and hear - rider up! I took the opportunity to get off the trail and take witness to some of the best in the sport and begin cheering like the fan that I am. Weir, especially has inspired me to get back out on the mt bike and learn how to be a better rider. I digress, sorry.) Back to the dedication - ME! In the end, I was riding smooth and fast and I was reminded that, yes, I have some skills, too, on the bike, and I allowed it time to sink into my consciousness during the last decent of the BC Bike Race. It was a nice feeling!

I am sitting on the couch (Day 8!) very proud of myself and Kelly. We set a goal and not only nailed it, but I think we hit it out of the park! I am itching to get back on my bike and do some more epic rides with friends! I can't even believe that I am saying this, but it is true, and I look forward to returning to VT and finding a new adventures to jump into with my friends and family.

Keep riding and adventuring! Much love!

Phil

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful piece, Phil. See you guys tomorrow! Greg

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Kelly and Phil! Been following the blog throughout. See you back in VT where the weather is beautiful and the sailing is fine.
James

6:23 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Very inspiring Phil and Kelly and a truly great piece to sum up the experience. Can't wait to see you guys back on the trails in VT to have more adventures.
Dan V.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home